Inline Bathroom Extractor Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps.

One of my customers had a new bathroom fitted which included an inline extractor which is vented to the outside.

The customer is complaining that thre is water leaking from it when used.

I have had a look at it and I suspect that watewr is gathering in the dip in the flexible duct that goes through the outside wall.

It is leaking from the parts in the picture that have the old towels under them.

What is the best solution?

Should the pipe go uphill towards the outside or should it be kept level?

Many thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
I had the same problem, cure is get rid of flex pipes, but that is easier said than done. What I found it was condensing the steam in the pipes so it needed to be so water will run out, as to if back into the shower tray, or outside does not really matter, but non flex have smooth walls so less resistance for the air, so not only can the water run out, but air travels faster so it does not get as cold in the pipe to condense out. Also make sure timer is set to the full 15 minutes stated in Part L, my dad did not like the sound of the fan so would turn off the isolator before it auto stopped, so air in pipe still water leaden when fan stopped.

I had the same problem, cure is get rid of flex pipes,
(y)
but that is easier said than done.
In that instance it should be quite easy to replace the outlet flexi with solid and use a 20º (or whatever is required) elbow and lift the fan so the pressured side flows downhill with suitable fixings for the pipework and the flexi evacuated side runs backwards to the shower/bath.
What I found it was condensing the steam in the pipes so it needed to be so water will run out, as to if back into the shower tray, or outside does not really matter,
Depends where the condensation is occurring.
but non flex have smooth walls so less resistance for the air, so not only can the water run out, but air travels faster so it does not get as cold in the pipe to condense out.
(y)
Also make sure timer is set to the full 15 minutes stated in Part L, my dad did not like the sound of the fan so would turn off the isolator before it auto stopped, so air in pipe still water leaden when fan stopped.

Sponsored Links
Hi chaps.

One of my customers had a new bathroom fitted which included an inline extractor which is vented to the outside.

The customer is complaining that thre is water leaking from it when used.

I have had a look at it and I suspect that watewr is gathering in the dip in the flexible duct that goes through the outside wall.

It is leaking from the parts in the picture that have the old towels under them.

What is the best solution?

Many thanks!!
If it's recent, call the fitters back in to fit it properly.

Downhill.

It is OK to have a short upward run from the room, because the air will be warmest here, then to slope downwards so any condensation as it cools runs outside.

As said, rigid duct is better, because the airflow is smoother, and fluff and water do not collect so much.

You can insulate duct to reduce condensation by flopping loft roll over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back