How to underpin front of concrete slab, that's poorly built on a slope and now overhanging it's hardcore sub-base?

Yea I've watched a few of them, you do wonder if it's just some baloney or it actually works. There are several UK businesses seemingly offering such services. Google slab lifting or similar.

Sponsored Links
It definitely works, the question is how long for - especially if you drive a car over or store anything heavy on top of it.

I have a stock room full of literally tons of stuff, all on a floating chipboard floor that's held up only by Celotex. I expected it to have sunk, but I don't think it's budged at all. But squirty foam is a lot weaker.

Probably not the answer here but I have seen videos from USA where a concrete path to front doors have dropped and they drill holes and pump in expanding foam and it raises the whole slab.

I've seen those. There was a time I was even thinking of enclosing it all with bricks or better shuttering. Get a masonary hole saw bit and SDS drill and drill 3 holes from the inside and fill with concrete.

@Ivor I just google cost of concrete filling and check-a-trade gave out £150 a square meter as an average. Maybe that's for filling a house foundation footing that wil obviously be way more volume for the depth.

I'm not spending more than £500-700 on this repair, but something will be better than nothing. However, because of it, I have changed my plans to install mostly modular 2nd fix stuff that can be recovered if it all needs taking down (e.g. PVC tile floor instead of epoxy, surface mounted metal clad sockets instead of building a stud wall and recessing within etc.

Last edited:
My solution would be similar....

Knock in some short sections of scaffold poles or something similar, a little distance from the base, and as deep as you can possibly get them, then lay concrete fence poles, horizontally resting against, and supported by the poles. Finally, remove those bits of decking boards, and in fill, with a sloppy concrete mix, pushing it just as far under the slab, as you can get it. As a last job, you could chop any protruding tops off the poles.

Sponsored Links
I have a stock room full of literally tons of stuff, all on a floating chipboard floor that's held up only by Celotex. I expected it to have sunk, but I don't think it's budged at all. But squirty foam is a lot weaker.

By way of an experiment, and hearing about puncture proofing - I filled a caravan jockey wheel with foam, frustrated by punctures. There is only 70Kg of weight on the jockey wheel. It lasted just an hour or two, before going completely flat.

I just google cost of concrete filling and check-a-trade gave out £150 a square meter as an average. Maybe that's for filling a house foundation footing that wil obviously be way more volume for the depth.
You do know this is a DIY forum? The clue's in the title.

Smash it out, prepare then get concrete delivered. You'll pay less than £1000, depending on the depth.

If you prefer to sit in your armchair then obviously you'll pay lots more.

You do know this is a DIY forum? The clue's in the title.

Smash it out, prepare then get concrete delivered. You'll pay less than £1000, depending on the depth.

If you prefer to sit in your armchair then obviously you'll pay lots more.
I've not looked much into the cost of pouring concrete, but makes sense for check-trade guide prices to be for a the labour as well. Thanks.
Good to know it won't cost too much in a worst case scenario!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back