Help to understand quotes for new system boiler

Mainly up-front cost, including possible need for a bigger gas pipe to meet the pressure drop regs. Might be a little less efficient as it will be working at a big turndown.
Does it have to be a system boiler? A heat-only is easier to troubleshoot in event of a problem. It also allows the option of a F/E tank instead of an expansion vessel. There are pros and cons with each and opinion in the trade is divided, but my preference is F/E tank.
Why is a F&E preferred with corrsosion and oxygen able to enter the system

Sponsored Links
but I'd like to understand the implications of having a boiler that's potentially too big. Can anyone please advise
A boiler that is too big might struggle to modulate down enough.

heating doesn’t need a lot of power in fact it’s a surprisingly small amount that is required to maintain a target temp,of 20 deg in a house.

Why is a F&E preferred with corrsosion and oxygen able to enter the system
The water in the F/E tank doesn't circulate through the system, I doubt whether corrosion is any different from using an expansion vessel.
With an F/E tank there's no need to check pressure and top up periodically, it looks after itself. F/E runs at lower pressure, so less likely to cause leaks (especially when retrofitting to an existing setup).

Might have been nice to give the quote (or approximate quote to stay anon) as always interesting to see such quotes and how they change over time.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone checked the mains water dynamic flow rate to see if an unvented cylinder is feasible?

They both checked the water pressure from the outside tap and said it was OK. Is that what you mean? With our current system (header tank in the loft), the pressure downstairs is OK but it's not so good upstairs, especially in one of the bathrooms. We were under the impression that a new unvented cylinder would help with the pressure. Is that correct or not?

We have two bathrooms upstairs and two teenage daughters so we definitely want a system which gives us decent pressure and hot water for the showers.

Unvented does give better pressure if mains pressure is upto scratch.
But cylinder hot water will run out. Having said that, recovery rate is fast.
Another plus is immersion heater. If boiler packs up, water can still be heated electrically- a dead combi means no hot water or heating

Just wife and I at home. 32kW Vaillant Ecotec Plus has served us faithfully with decent flow rate

The water in the F/E tank doesn't circulate through the system, I doubt whether corrosion is any different from using an expansion vessel.

The surface area is open to air so will be subjected to ingress of air which EV is not
Rise and fall of water in F&E will also let air into the system water
This is one of the reasons why the feed pipe often blocks up with rusty plug of sediment.

A combi communicating pipe to EV will block up if flexible pipe used with black sediment
In 30 years not seen copper pipe blocked up similarly

The surface area is open to air so will be subjected to ingress of air which EV is not
But very little of it gets into the circulating water. F/E tank isn't subject to expansion vessel problems, which come up regularly on this forum.
Rise and fall of water in F&E will also let air into the system water
That was the case with open vent on the flow, cold feed on boiler return, but that went out 50 years ago. When it's plumbed boiler - open vent - cold feed pump level change is minuscule (or even combined cold feed and vent, which I'm not keen on, but some go for it).
This is one of the reasons why the feed pipe often blocks up with rusty plug of sediment.
Do you mean the pipe from the F/E tank to the system? Good reason to keep the inhibitor concentration up to scratch!

See pic open vented on a H section did one last week even worse but that had a airjec fitted .
20240509_171324.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back