Header tank

Sponsored Links
No. Its probably pumping over in which case it needs looking at as you will be allowing lots of oxygenated water into the system leading to corrosion and sludge.
Its usually caused by blockage at the feed/vent connection. Find this point and see if a magnet is attracted to the pipework. The blockage can cause the water to take an easier route which is up the vent into the F&E. The blocked section will need to be cut out and cleaned or replaced.

I am not a plumber... Years ago a mate lived in a property that had a gravity fed system. One day his brand new toilet cistern cracked.

His immersion heater failed in the open position and was sending hot water up via the pipe that loops over the top of the main water tank.

Erm.. on reflection, probably not the same thing and I will defer to @Elkato531, nevertheless, I would recommend that you check the heating element in the immersion heater. My lay understanding is that new ones will fail in the off position. The old ones would send boiling water up to the main tank. That tank would then deform and spew forth boiling water through the ceiling, occasionally resulting in death.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back