GPS SAt nav

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone use Germain (may have wrong spelling) Streetpilot satnav? Am thinking of getting one and would like some information before I fork out the £o££y for it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. Does a route have to be planned on the PC to then be transfered to the satnav reciever. Can a city (say Edinburgh) be resident on the satnav memory to be used as and when required for travel in that city?

As a service engineer, I have to look at the maps a lot and have to carry different sets of maps for the large area I cover. Knowing how to use and what Garmin street pilot can do, would help

Not sure what system you are considering, personally I have a
Ipaq 2210 running tomtom2 software with a bluetooth GPS reciever, to plan a route all i have to do is type in the city, street and street No and the Ipaq does the rest.

No planning on the PC neccessary, you can also add 20 favourite places and press navigate to ,home or uncle bob etc.

Another useful extra (downloadable from the link I gave you) is checkpoint where you can add POI's (places of interest) including a speed camera database which notifies you when approaching a speed camera location.

If you join the forum, there are some really knowaglable guys on the forum that will help better than I can (still a newbie to sat nav)

Sponsored Links
I have a Streetpilot III and I have to say, it is brilliant. OK, so it would probably be cheaper to just get the bloke in the office who seems to know every route to everywhere in the country (why is there always someone like that?) but there are times when you are glad to have it.

The way mine works is you get a CD-ROM with all the maps on, and download detailed maps of individual counties onto a memory card which slots into the GPS unit. Major roads are built in to the GPS unit already. The map data that goes onto the memory card includes even such things as pubs, restaurants, hotels, train stations so you can just ask it to find the nearest pub, and there it is (although you're driving :( )

Something I would recommend, get the 128mb card if you can fork out the extra (they might come with it now, not sure) because then you can fit the whole of the UK on and never have to worry about the whole downloading onto the card.

One downer: when I ask it to direct me home it seems to think my front door is almost 30 feet further up the road from where I live. ;)

Oh, the Streetpilot doesn't have the speed camera database, bit of a shame but as a young male with a relatively nice car I am far too afraid to speed as my insurance would require a remortgage if I get any points.

Bet the Ipaq can't point out plod doing random speed traps though...

GPS does show just how optimistic car speedos are as well, in fact if your speedo is showing 75 you are only really going 70.

Having purchased the Streetpilot, are there any running costs? By that I mean fees etc.

Not that I have encountered so far, and I have had it nearly 2 years. The only costs I can foresee are if you decide to go to the continent and want to get street-level map data. Then you need to pay a bit extra to unlock the foreign maps (although they are already on the CD-ROMs supplied with the unit, GRRRRRR!)

They put map updates out on the net so where the local council has changed roads into one-way systems etc. in the last two years the software can be updated to show this.

Oh, and on top of all this, my Streetpilot can either speak in Miss Moneypenny English or a rather sultry Italian voice (actually in Italian, unfortunately).

Adam, if you had to buy the GPS reciever now, would still buy the streetpilot at £600 (Maplin) or fork out £1000 for 2610? (or is the designation different)

I have had a look at the 2610 on the Garmin website and to be honest it offers little advantage over the Streetpilot. The interface looks similar other than that it is touch screen.

With the 2610 you do appear to get the whole of Europe unlocked, plus you get a 256mb card. So, that would pay dividends next time you fancy a trip to the continent. To get an extra 128mb for the Streetpilot (and thus bring you up to 256mb capacity) is an extra £100. And then you have to pay to unlock the aditional maps too.

The 2610 uses standard Compact Flash cards which are cheaper and more available than the Streetpilot ones.

I would go for the Streetpilot 3 Deluxe package, personally. The extra £400 of the 2610 (not to mention the cost of a case for it on top) is not justified by having all of Europe unlocked.

Purchased the Streetpilot last week.

Have used it and am well pleased with operation. Worked well in Big Smoke. I usually get lost there and it soon develops into heated words with padner while navigating there. Now instead of "I wasn't looking", I get good directions.

Purchased the Streetpilot last week.

Have used it and am well pleased with operation. Worked well in Big Smoke. I usually get lost there and it soon develops into heated words with padner while navigating there. Now instead of "I wasn't looking", I get good directions.

Sponsored Links
Back