Gap between chimney breast and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I was up in my attic the other day while it was bright and sunny outside and noticed a lot of light coming down from the side of the chimney breast where the house is joined to next door (1940's terrace).

On closer inspection there appears to be a gap of around half a centimetre along the width of the chimney. I would have expected this to be covered by lead flashing but you could just about make out the side of the chimney above tile level.

Having had a proper look today with a torch and then having gone outside to see if I could see anything above roof level, it appears that my house and next door (we share the chimney) have mortar where the chimney and tiles meet instead of lead flashing. Well, my house looks like it did have mortar round the base of the chimney.

I didn't notice any damp in my attic and the rafters (or is it purlins?) don't apepar to be rotten where they are open to the elements.

Is this a case of getting someone round to re mortar this joining point (or maybe install lead flashing would be better) and assuming so, would roofers usually do it without scaffold or would I need to factor this is to the cost? I would probably look at getting my chimney stack re-pointed also while they were up there.

I have included some terrible pics below...

full

full

full

TIA!

Sponsored Links
The cement fillet has cracked due movement and frost . The best idea is to replace the fillet with Lead step flashing.

Most roofers now would want a scaffold up to do the work, due to H&S issues.

Thanks for the info! Yeah i thought scaffold would be needed. Id best get finding someone to sort this then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back