fluorescent light only flickers when I switch OFF!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have just installed a fluorescent strip light. I have followed the instructions and made sure that the correct wire goes to each terminal.
Annoyingly I am getting no results. The bulb only flickers when I turn the switch off. I have opened up the switch and checked that the wires are in the correct holes and they are...
Does the fact that the light briefly flicks on when I switch on mean that there is a fault or that the bulb is gone?
Many thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
you should make sure that the connections are tight, that the "starter" is in place (small round tube sticking out the side)

also as you have changed it from a different light are you sure you have connected it right (it be connected to two black wires, if you have 3 cables in the ceiling)

Hello
Yes the starter is in place and the wires are in the correct places. I opened the switch up to double check and the existing wiring is correct. Live goes straight from the switch to live on the light as do Neut and earth.
Sound like the light is nackered? I have tried a different starter too!
Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
I removed one of the plastic guides covering the brass contacts and it is now working. Are the plastic covers meant to be there?
Thanks
Nick[/img]

which plastic guides do you mean? not on the end of the tube itself?

No, not the actual tube - they are the guides from the actual light fitting. Little plastic green guides that help the bulb into place. Should they be there? I have removed one of them.
Thanks
Nick

to be honest i can't say i know the things you mean. does any one else know?

This is what the plastic thing looks like:
grom.gif

not quite sure, but it looks like you have one of the light fittings that you put the tube in the twist it 90 degrees, this ensures it makes contact with the contacts, the plastic bit looks like the thing to hold the tube in place when you twist it.

Origonal fittings you put the tube in one end and push the other end out slightly and then it "pops" back on the tube connections to hold the tube in situ, as i said modern fittings you put the tube in and rotate it 90 degrees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back