Extractor Fan Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

Can you please advise me. im changing out an extractor fan - the original is wired off a switch which also controls the light in this small ensuite. The original has a timer and is wired with three cables - Neutral, Live and a Timer. The new fan has no timer and ports for Neutral and Live only. Should i separate off the original live and wire the new fan with Neutral and Timer only or is there some other necessary configuration to manage three wires into two ports?>

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What you have is neutral, permanent live and switched live. If you only have two terminals, live and neutral, you will have to use the switched live and isolate the permanent live. Can you not change it for something the same as you already have? A timer is much better.

i agree, but the new fan has already been bought..... Ill see if i can persuade to change it out as i think you're right. cheers for the advice and quick response. ...

Sponsored Links
Ill see if i can persuade to change it out as i think you're right
You haven't said what room it is for.

But, it's a timer fan for a reason..........either to get rid of condensation, and to stop the walls going mouldy, or to get rid of the stink of yesterday's curry, or just because building regulations require it in your installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back