EV are they worth it?

I must admit when taking my wife to hospital during colvid so had to sit in the car in car park, I was a little perturbed by the number of cars sitting there with an engine running, I just wrapped up warm, and I have seen reports of people getting upset due to pets left in cars in the sun, we do tend to forget the EV can have a heater or cooler running without any large liquid fuel motor running, which must be an advantage.

How long the heat pump can be used to heat or cool the car I don't know? Cars are not double glazed, and are constructed like a green house, so we do need a large energy transfer to keep them warm/cool.
There's a similar one doing the rounds, where its a car park attendant trying to move a Tesla off an EV charging spot
I have seen the problems, the people coming off the train don't get to cars before the people getting on the train leave their cars, only 2 re-charge spaces, and the train takes 2 hours to return so ideal place for people to stop to re-charge, there is some thing to do while they wait.

I will park my car there to load/unload as it is next to entrance of building I am working in, but will make sure one bay is free. And I know the Lady with an EV will come and move it off the charging bay once charged. But one wonders why any one would rant and rave at a stranger, even if one does not like what they are doing. Just not British hay what!

Sponsored Links
I must admit when taking my wife to hospital during colvid so had to sit in the car in car park, I was a little perturbed by the number of cars sitting there with an engine running, I just wrapped up warm, and I have seen reports of people getting upset due to pets left in cars in the sun, we do tend to forget the EV can have a heater or cooler running without any large liquid fuel motor running, which must be an advantage.

How long the heat pump can be used to heat or cool the car I don't know? Cars are not double glazed, and are constructed like a green house, so we do need a large energy transfer to keep them warm/cool.

I have seen the problems, the people coming off the train don't get to cars before the people getting on the train leave their cars, only 2 re-charge spaces, and the train takes 2 hours to return so ideal place for people to stop to re-charge, there is some thing to do while they wait.

I will park my car there to load/unload as it is next to entrance of building I am working in, but will make sure one bay is free. And I know the Lady with an EV will come and move it off the charging bay once charged. But one wonders why any one would rant and rave at a stranger, even if one does not like what they are doing. Just not British hay what!

Yes, it's disappointing how selfish people can sometimes be. I think more EV charging companies should move to a tariff that charges both by the kWh and by time. For example, you could have a tariff that charged by the kWh for 30 minutes and then by the kWh plus (say) another £10 for every 30 minutes thereafter, to discourage charger hogging. Obviously, that's for fast "route" chargers. It wouldn't apply (or would apply a after a much longer period to slow "destination" chargers.

Yes, it's disappointing how selfish people can sometimes be. I think more EV charging companies should move to a tariff that charges both by the kWh and by time. For example, you could have a tariff that charged by the kWh for 30 minutes and then by the kWh plus (say) another £10 for every 30 minutes thereafter, to discourage charger hogging. Obviously, that's for fast "route" chargers. It wouldn't apply (or would apply a after a much longer period to slow "destination" chargers.
We in fact I done the reverse, due to the way people have used the machine repeatedly unplugging and plugging back in, we have switched it off in Winter months due to the abuse. The problem could be solved by the firm running the machine stopping giving a 'free' 15 minutes of charge to allow for people to start charging while sorting out the app, but the whole idea of the charger was not to serve the EV user, it was to make money when we realised how much we were paying for a standing charge and the cost to have supplies removed, can't really say we are looking after the environment when whole business is to run steam trains.

But the problem is there are often two companies running the EV charging points, the company who owns the land and pays for the electric, and the company who look after the charge points. The latter pays the former a % of the take, which can be less than the cost of buying the electric. Of course one hopes it is more, but any attempt to regulate the price charged for electric could mean charge points being switched off.

Sponsored Links
Just watched a you tube on a £6000 EV with a max speed of 28 MPH.
I am of two minds, one for me retired and not in a hurry it would work in the main better to my e-bike, but for every one else stuck behind me, they may not feel the same.

The e-bike in the summer can put on train, same cost as a dog, and get to Welshpool where there is a canal tow path so I can have a day out without causing any traffic hold up, but it is in the main a recreational vehicle, I have used to as a car park marshal at the railway, but as far as going to shops, too much like hard work.

I have taken it on the main A458 but it takes as long as the train, and if it rains I get wet. So there is a case for these small cars, one EV and one ICE between wife and I would work, as long as there is an ICE for long runs. But what about other traffic?

Just watched a you tube on a £6000 EV with a max speed of 28 MPH.
I am of two minds, one for me retired and not in a hurry it would work in the main better to my e-bike, but for every one else stuck behind me, they may not feel the same.

The e-bike in the summer can put on train, same cost as a dog, and get to Welshpool where there is a canal tow path so I can have a day out without causing any traffic hold up, but it is in the main a recreational vehicle, I have used to as a car park marshal at the railway, but as far as going to shops, too much like hard work.

I have taken it on the main A458 but it takes as long as the train, and if it rains I get wet. So there is a case for these small cars, one EV and one ICE between wife and I would work, as long as there is an ICE for long runs. But what about other traffic?

Technically, it's not a car, it's a "quadricycle". There are plenty of them around, like the Citroen Ami:

or the smaller (and somewhat easier on the eye!) version of the Renault Twizzy:

Quadricycles are limited on both weight, to speed and power output. they don't meet the same type approval requirements as a car (e.g. crashworthiness). Basically, think of them as a big, 2 seater, covered mobility scooter that you can drive on the road.

Last edited:
Back