DIY re-roof on semi galley kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our galley kitchen roof has many cracked tiles, leaks a lot and has no felt ().

It's a semi, and the neighbours had there's re-done recently.
PXL_20240507_070545396.jpg

I'm thinking of doing it myself - it's not very high, my dad has some basic scaffolding I can put up at the side, plus I can sneak a peak at the neighbours if I need to (although not sure why).

I've fixed leaks on our main roof before (paid for scaffolding after many roofers failed to fix leaks).

Any potential issues I should be aware of? Getting it done fast enough is the most obvious one I can think of. I live very close to a builder's yard too.

Sponsored Links
Your neighbour has sorted the most risky bit (the joint between the roofs) with a bonding gutter.
As a diyer, I found the hardest part was the first row - setting the bottom batten, fascia height etc but it's not impossible. The tiles (ask you neighbour) are Marley moderns or generic clones - like hoovers and vacuum cleaners, so anything similar will do - but it would be worth checking the pitch of the roof first as it looks shallow. Felt (obviously you'll use a modern breather membrane) can provide water resistance for a few weeks while doing the work, and you only need to strip a metre (the depth of the membrane) at a time of the roof providing you tuck the top of the membrane under the slates. You'll need new battens, felt support trays, those dry verge things (plenty of online instructions and youtube vids). As you'll only need a small amount of membrane go onto eBay and find someone selling a part roll or lengths by the metre and get something decent.
Do a dry run of the first row of tiles to get the spacing right (you don't want tiny slivers at the ends). Lead flashing - fortunately a straight run so you will be able to achieve decent results with care, or consider a lead substitute (Leadax) which is arguably easier to work with.

Consider upgrading the insulation above the ceiling while you have access.

If you have a reasonable number of usable slates consider selling them as they could be worth something.

If you get stuck just ask on here, plenty of helpful pros (just might need to get them to think back to their apprentice days as they sometimes assume a fair bit of prior knowledge) and diyers who've figured it out the hard way.

Amazing thank you.

With the lead - were you talking about the top or the side? The top has a piece of lead that I hoping to keep? The side I was thinking of those plastic things you place down the side. I've used them on my garage, and the neighbour has them on this roof already.

The leadwork is for under the window (you have some lead already).

This is very much DIY able as job. I have done a few roofs now (including velux), due to getting sky high quotes for what were relatively simple jobs. Between this forum and YT, there is plenty of advice/tution to be had.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Our galley kitchen roof has many cracked tiles, leaks a lot and has no felt ().

It's a semi, and the neighbours had there's re-done recently.
View attachment 342418

I'm thinking of doing it myself - it's not very high, my dad has some basic scaffolding I can put up at the side, plus I can sneak a peak at the neighbours if I need to (although not sure why).

I've fixed leaks on our main roof before (paid for scaffolding after many roofers failed to fix leaks).

Any potential issues I should be aware of? Getting it done fast enough is the most obvious one I can think of. I live very close to a builder's yard too.
I'd scrap the slates and probably mimick the neighbours tiles, as long as the pitch is suitable.
Probably need a midspan purlin.
May need a replacement lintel over the doors.
I'd make provision for a new fan duct whilst the roof was off.
Insulate and adequately vent the new roof whilst stripped.
A lot to consider for a DIYer.
Requires an application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back