Dimmer Switch Too Many Wires!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a one-gang two-way dimmer switch that I want to install in my living room. My ex did the wiring here yonks ago. He is not a qualified electrician - need I say more? I opened up the old switch and found not 2 wires, one red, one black but 3 of each colour!!! 1 red, one black connected at the top of the switch both of which go to the ceiling fixture and two of each colour connected in the holes at the bottom of the switch. Is this solvable or only by someone who really knows what they're doing? :cry:

Sponsored Links
I don't think this is a two-way switch because it only operates the one light and there is no other switch that does.

Thanks!!!!

it sounds like it is a two way switch. make a note of which wires are where and change the switch so that the switch has its wires in the same position as the existing switch.

it is not unommon to find 6 wires in a switch box for 2 way switching

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back