Cracked Tile In Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just noticed this crack in one of the tiles in my shower.

1000006412.jpg
Not sure if it would have been there since installation 6 years ago or if these things can just happen?
It's in an awkward place to replace and I've put a bit of clear silicone over it. Is there anything else you would recommend instead to cover the crack or will silicone do? Thanks
1000006413.jpg
1000006412.jpg
1000006411.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Emma
I guess the silicone is about all you can do really - there's never a good place for cracks but at least that's pretty high up.
The only real alternative is to cut the faulty tile out.......do you have any spares?
Keep an eye on it, and see if it gets any bigger, but my guess it's been there for ages!
Regards
John :)

Thanks John, it's about halfway up the shower where the hose goes into the wall - just a shame it's at the end where the shower head is and not the opposite end!
I've messaged a tiler as i have spare tiles in the garage & also a cosmetic fixer to see what they recommend as I can't tell if it's going through the whole tile or just a hairline crack at the front.

Indeed, that's the million dollar question especially if there is plaster board behind!
It's not a huge deal to cut the old tile out so long as great care is taken so brilliant that you have spares!
It's difficult to tell what is going on - the occasional examples I've come across showed the tiles below were starting to bulge and the grout was cracking but yours seems just fine from here.
Nothing to panic about and it looks like a lovely installation.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Tetrosyl make a "clear" 2 pack filler (called Stonefill) that you can mix with acrylic paints to create a colour match.

It will be shower proof after about 30 mins.

I was introduced to it by a tiler many years ago. At the time he was using it to fill tiny dents in marble tiles. I have since tinted it to hide both cracks and holes drilled in tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back