Corner Pc cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We are on the look out for a corner pc cabinet with closing doors to tidy up our pc workspace. There is one in Ikea http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10059151 which is perfect in every respect except that it is slighty too deep @ 88cm we have 82 @ most) and will knock into a radiator.

Two things, does anyone knows of one similar to this but slightly shallower I'd be very interested.

Alternatively has anyone ever tried modifying one of these things to fit ? If I remove the skirting on the wall I can get about 84cm depth but it would mean jigsawing out pieces around the pipe not the rad itself, is this a waste of time to begin for a novice ?? anyone had good / bad experiences trying to do this type of thing ?

Cheers,
Mully

Sponsored Links
Modifying a piece of flatpack furniture can be simple, or very difficult.

Suggest you go in to Ikea to look at one (in the wood - so to speak) and work out just what you would need to modify.

Unfortunately taking something off a corner unit normally means the doors no longer fit.

One other consideration - when using the PC do you want to sit with your feet in the cupboard?

Cheers for the advice.

Have seen the unit and think it could just about be squeezed in if the skirting was removed from wall behid it.

Rather than ammend the dimesnions of the unit itself I was going to jigsaw out a small section in order to have it fit around the rad pipe at the bottom, however there is a protrusion from the top of the rad aswell as it is an old style rad which would need accomodated.

All in all looking at the whole thing now it could be a disaster so am just gonna keep my eyes open for something similar but fitting.

Mully

move the unit forward 2 or 3 inches to clear the radiator!!!

a 880 unit for the doors to go against the wall out the way would be incredibly long as the diagonal is 40 percent bigger than the strait edges that makes the doors around 600 long[1/2 1200]
so your neat corner solution will now with doors open take up 1480 0n each wall thats pretty much 5 ft :cry:

why not go for a normal rectangular unit it will take up a lot less space and give you more room!!!!

a 700 wide x450 will have more usable internal space and with the doors fully [right angles agaist the wall one side and 180 degrees or more the other side]
will take up 1050 x 800mm

Sponsored Links
Its an old style radiator so unless I want a 9 inch gap between the unit and the wall no point moving it.

I'm not sure on your figures but I've seen the unit n the flesh and it is both neat and compact and any rectangular one's I've seen intrude way too much into other room space.

get yourself some newspaper and work it out on the floor :D :D ;)

remember most of the spac is wasted in a triangular desighn if for example you want to fit a 300deep printer into the space you need to be about 300mm from the edge of the cabinet before you get enough space behind so you will only get one component on each level no room for side by side components

I think you may not have noticed from the original picture link that this unit is not wholly triangular. There are flat edges protruding to which the triangular edge (i.e. doors) fits so you retain lots of the space internally.

aahh got yah looked at the top of the doors can see the the wood travling what looks like 6" back that would certainly help ;)

good luck with whatever you choose :D :D ;)

Cool ended up just getting the rad moved in the end as hacking at the unit would have been a disaster.

Is a great cabinet plenty sturdy and the keyboard tray extends out quite far so I just ended up putting out printer in the bottom along with the pc tower as you end up with plenty of leg room.

Cheers for all the replies...

realy glad it worked out and thanks for getting back with your solution :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back