chain saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a chain saw - what are pros' & cons of electric vs petrol - I see cons as a cable vs smelly petrol.

Is an electric one going to be man enough to cut thru a 12-18" trunk?
Steve

split from hi-jacked post

Sponsored Links
sdelasal said:
I need a chain saw - what are pros' & cons of electric vs petrol - I see cons as a cable vs smelly petrol.

Is an electric one going to be man enough to cut thru a 12-18" trunk?
Steve

Petrol has a definite power advantage over the electric. Plus it will go where electric wont and in conditions that electric wont, i.e far from a socket and in damp. They are heavier so you will need to eat your spinach.

Always wear protective clothing no matter which type you buy. A chainsaw will make short work of a leg or foot.

I have electric and petrol chainsaw.

I started off with the electric chainsaw being the first time using it and it does do the job okay but get jammed in the wood sometime. The petrol chainsaw is so powerful and keep cutting without stopping. I must admit I was frighten to use it and I'm more confident now :!:

Sponsored Links
if your using a chain saw it is better to go for petrol as theres less likelehood of kickback due to the extra power. The minimum you should be wearing is chainsaw trousers, boots, gloves, eye protection and a dual forestry helmet, with someone else in attendance. How more people havnt been injured (like the one last summer when a guy up a ladder dropped it on his wifes head i dont know) is beyond me. You cant hire them because of the danger, but you can walk into b&q and but one, makes no sense to me. They are dangerous, make no bones about it and need to be used in the right way and with the utmost respect. If you are considering using it a lot then speak to your local agricultural college. A lot of them do a basic saturday domestic users course. If you want to use it for work you need the appropriate certification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back