Can I run 4mm cable from a 6mm Control unit to my Hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just when I thought it was over another challenge appears, help please! I have 6mm cable running from my consumer unit, using a 30amp fuse to my control unit in the kitchen( was there Before). My new hob appliance uses 6.2kw. My existing 6mm cable will not fit, Manufacturer say's if you can't get it to fit use 4mm. Can I run 4mm cable from a 6mm fed large on/off double pole Control unit.

On The hob where the cable goes it says (3 x 1.5 Max) what size cable is this????

Thank you...

Kumbi

Sponsored Links
Breezer!!!!! thanks to you, you have saved myself and my kids lifes.

The full story is I have a Hob and seperate oven:
Setup:
Hob: max 6 kw Total Apms 26.1
Oven:max 5.1 kw Total Apms 22.

I bought the Oven refurbished(b-stock full warranty) and it came with a 1.5mm cable with a 3amp fuse plug!!!!

After speaking to you and getting to understanding a little about electrics I was not happy with the cable and knew something was wrong. I plugged it in and pop! the fue blew, I opened the plug and found a 3amp fuse. I have been offerd a full refund.

Breezer, I hope to keep the same setup as above, I curently have a 6mm cable from the kitchen (CU) to a 30amp fuse at the consumer unit.

I have two appliences, where do I go from here...
from what you have taught me , I would assume I should run another 6mm cable from the consumer unit, with its own 30amp fuse. So one for the hob and the other for the oven???

Is cable protection correct, that the rating of the cable must be higher than the fuse? Because the manufacturers say use 4mm with a 30amp fuse.

Help please.

thanks agin

kumbi :(

Sponsored Links
you could run them both off one 10 mm cable, but you would then need to split it so you can isolate either appliance, and as you already have one 6mm cable it would be easy to put in another 4mm cable (bigger is safer) and put in a 30 amp fuse or 32 amp mcb

you are also right in the fact that the cable should be of a higher rating than the fuse, since when a fault occurs it is the weakest part that gives, fuses / mcb are meant to do this.

Cable rating also depends on its use, location and run, but there is no need at this time to go into that.

:D Thanks AGAIN Breezer, I think i will go back to fitting the kitchen now.

GOD bless you...

Kumbi :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back