Block paving suggestions and tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve done a block paved patio at my old house (30sqm) a few years back so am clearly an expert..... but was after some input from those who might be a little more expert than me as I’ve just started the process of doing my drive but have not moved onto block selection yet.

Firstly, choice of block. I like the tumbled look rather than the standard 100x200 herringbone. Colour is personal preference but there are a few styles. The usual 3 sized tumbled blocks that have a flat face and then the blocks with a raised profile to mimick cobbles. I’m initially drawn to these cobble type blocks for the look but was wondering if there are practical issues? I’m imagining more muck and crap getting stuck in the joints promoting weeds? Can’t be jet washing crap out every year for sanity and also longevity of the drive. Anyone got these or laid them?

Secondly, when stupidly laying 140sqm on your own, does anyone have any tips on making the laying easier? Watching YouTube vids of crews laying blocks (my info source along with paving expert), they very conveniently have blokes providing the layer with a nice constant supply, usually with a fancy sack truck that takes a whole slab of blocks. At present it will be me stacking some blocks at the edge, laying, then repeating...... a thousand times. Am I consigned to this madness or is there a better way. Paying anyone a penny is out of the question. I’ll break my own back before that happens!

Thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links
I’m initially drawn to these cobble type blocks for the look but was wondering if there are practical issues? I’m imagining more muck and crap getting stuck in the joints promoting weeds? Can’t be jet washing crap out every year for sanity and also longevity of the drive.

Thoughts appreciated

Her indoors says that walking in high heels over cobbles is a bu**er! So if that's your thing, think again! On weeds, 'Wet and Forget' works.

I think tarmac will be more expensive for me. I’d have to pay someone to do it and I’d be amazed if they’d accept my sub base or give me a guarantee.

Sponsored Links
I think tarmac will be more expensive for me. I’d have to pay someone to do it and I’d be amazed if they’d accept my sub base or give me a guarantee.
From what I've seen round here, your sub base is going to be a lot better than any you'd get from someone who comes in to do it.
Regarding the laying blocks, my wife found it quite therapeutic like a big Jigsaw, so you might be able to find a willing help from someone who enjoys it!

You should not be getting a weed problem with any block paving, and especially not if you are using the Geo-fix jointing with those pavers - or would that notion be way out of budget? :rolleyes: But you never ever really want to be jet-washing any concrete paving, unless you want to be going that every single year afterwards while the paving gets dirtier and dirtier in between and the surface gets rougher and faded.

Once you've set up your levels, then its easy for one person to just work in bays of about 2m wide by the length of the rails - 3m or so? Lay the bays and then whack it all at the end, not individually.

Whack and level stone for the whole drive and have the packs dropped and spaced near to where you will be using them (work out areas per pack), and not all in one place. And get yourself a pair of brick tongs for carrying the blocks from the pack to the area for laying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back