Best paintable cabinets for alcove cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I’m based in the UK and hoping to build some cabinets into my alcoves and then build bookshelves on top of them. To make this task easier, I am hoping to use a shop bought set of cabinets that I can assemble and subsequently paint at home.

Unfortunately due to minimum order requirements, a lot of kitchen suppliers won’t supply just 2 900x300 cabinets as it doesn’t reach the spend threshold.

Can anyone recommend a good value cabinet supplier where I might be able to get these? I am looking for units that can be painted to match the wall and I don’t want to have to spend an arm an a leg if possible!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,
Matthew

Sponsored Links
I made the assumption that these standard units weren’t paintable but perhaps I’m making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Do you know if these are paintable?

Thanks for your help

Kind regards,
Matthew

Sponsored Links
Kitchen cabinets are melamine covered, they can be painted with appropriate products.

I have some (Ikea) Billy bookcases to paint at some point which are also melamine covered, my research eventually had me speaking with Zinsser, they're recommendation is as follows:

1. Wash them with hot soapy water and dry off (ie washing up liquid).
2. Wipe over with isopropyl alcohol.
3. Prime with Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer.
4. Paint with whatever paint you want to use, I'll be going with Dulux Satinwood.

I suspect I will give them a complete run over with the sander beforehand.

If you google painting Ikea furniture you will see more google results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back