Bell Box. Wireless linked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are bell boxes that are wireless in that they are told to sound the alarm by a radio signal sent to them. Being wireless one can assume they are powered by batteries.

How long does a set of batteries last before a ladder must be climbed to replace them.

How does the bell box indicate that the batteries are getting low in power and need replacing.

How can the owner tell there is a problem when the batteries are so exhausted as to be unable to inform the owner that they need replacing.

How many alarm notifications can be sounded before the batteries need to be replaced.

Or how many minutes or hours of full volume siren can a set of batteries support.

Sponsored Links
There are bell boxes that are wireless in that they are told to sound the alarm by a radio signal sent to them. Being wireless one can assume they are powered by batteries.

How long does a set of batteries last before a ladder must be climbed to replace them.

How does the bell box indicate that the batteries are getting low in power and need replacing.

How can the owner tell there is a problem when the batteries are so exhausted as to be unable to inform the owner that they need replacing.

How many alarm notifications can be sounded before the batteries need to be replaced.

Or how many minutes or hours of full volume siren can a set of batteries support.

Hello Bernard.
In answer to your questions.
I can tell you that in the case of Yale alarms..
The technical specification lists the siren batteries as lasting 3 years typical service life.
Obviously this can change dependent on the amount of use the siren gets.

The default period for an alarm response is 10 minutes with the 6200 system using the siren as a master. (This can be changed to four)
The default length for a 6300/6400 system is 4 minutes and can be set from 1 - 15 minutes.
So the number of notifications cannot be readily given a definate answer.
However I would suggest that anyone with more than ten full alarm activations should consider changing batteries even if they are not indicating low power status. I have an alarm on a board for demonstartion purposes so that has been activated more often (though not as long) than many alarms and after a year I still have the original batteries in.
The siren gives a series of beeps and flashes when arming or disarming when the batteries are getting low. This occurs when there is approximately one months life still remaining.
There is no notification that a siren has completely exhausted its batteries other than the fact that when armed and disarmed there would be no confirmation beep and led flash normally expected. ie when an owner set his alarm he wouldn't get the acknowledgement response from the siren.
In terms of other devices the control panel lists a fault and an led description of the sensor whose batteries are failing , again with approx 4 weeks use remaining. The devices also indicate low battery status by flashing its red led when activated rather than a single blink.
If the devices totally drained they would still appear as a fault on the control panel as the panel continually polls all devices (except the siren) to make sure they are still in the system and any devices no longer 'seen' will appear on the lcd fault log.

I do have experience of the Response systems usually taking them out and swapping them.
Any systems not facing the sun or shaded by the eaves (as happens) will expire sooner rather than later.
The internal cell battery is only a pp3 9v and unless the nicad rechargeable gets sunlight the pp3 will not power the siren very effectively at all.
You also have the problem of having to face the siren from the southerly aspect of your property even if the best place for burglar deterent is on the North.
The Yale siren uses four 1.5v D cells as oposed to a single pp3
which gives (12000/4)4000mAh at 6 volts (in series) as opposed to 600mAh at 9v

Sponsored Links
No Bob there isn't a solar charging panel on the Yale system but as mentioned this is offset by the greater capacity of the internal batteries.

These days you can get very long life lithium batteries and I may consider asking Yale if they would recommend them. I seem to remember hearing from someone that you couldn't put high capacity batteries in the Yale systems. Maybe they have worries about corrosion?

As mentioned I have replaced response systems for clients and fitted Yale instead and when I removed the siren boxes there was not a peep when I removed the siren cover and activated the tamper. Both the standby pp3 and the rechargable ni cads were dead as dodos.

Do the response unit have method of indicating the battery power is failing in the sirens?

I seem to remember hearing from someone that you couldn't put high capacity batteries in the Yale systems. Maybe they have worries about corrosion?

Are the batteries wire or pin ended and soldered in or are they standard batteries in holders with spring contacts ?

I seem to remember hearing from someone that you couldn't put high capacity batteries in the Yale systems. Maybe they have worries about corrosion?

Are the batteries wire or pin ended and soldered in or are they standard batteries in holders with spring contacts ?
Standard, & i've never had a problem with the Yale system i fitted, only false alarm was when we wnet out with the windows left open. Fitted 3 others & they have been fine too. New house has a wired alarm, hopefully it will prove as good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back