Bathroom tile removal gone wrong. How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So a simple bathroom cabinet replacement job has become a multi-day ordeal. Having taken the old cabinet off the wall I was left with unsightly holes on two tiles. I tried removing with a hammer and chisel, but I ended up taking loads of the old plasterboard off too, and I cracked a third tile in the process somehow.

What’s the fix here? I’m guessing clear out the space for some new plasterboard to go in, and then put the tile/adhesive on that? Will tile adhesive even stick to board?

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0512.jpeg
    IMG_0512.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
If you have spare tiles that you are going to fit you will need to tidy the hole up and remove the rest of the tile adhesive before plastering so that the new ones won't sit proud of the rest.

Reactions: CBW
17162358315802792749232126463762.jpg

We used to have a blue mosaic tile here and Mrs S wanted an update, so I took them off with hammer and wide masonry chisel.

Unfortunately, the plasterboard mostly came with them, so I cut back the plasterboard to the nearest stud either side, then screwed in fresh pieces.

After that, I glued the tiles to the PB (don't worry, it stuck like siht to a blanket) and then patched up any bits of naked PB with finish, then painted.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I got some undercoat plaster from my local hardware. I'll try that, after scraping off the adhesive.

Thanks. Managed to fix with undercoat plaster.

Attachments

• IMG_0532 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0532 Large.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0533 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0533 Large.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0536 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0536 Large.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0540 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0540 Large.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back