Alarm wont stop going off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright all,

got a bt of a wierd one ere. Im woking on a victorian property with 50s wiring and everytime I plug in the washingmachine the external alarm goes off.

Its fine if I plug in a kettle to the same powerpoint or even my cordless drill recharger but if the washing machine goes in off goes the alarm, its driving me flipping nuts and the lady im doing the work for thinks im incompetant.

Any help appreciated

Jim

Sponsored Links
strange,

does the alarm go off straight away?
Do any fuses trip or blow?
What if the washing machine is plugged into an extension lead to another socket?
Looking deep into my memory:- is it true that the washing machine is an inductive load so the alarm should not be n the same circuit (if they are)??

How old and what make is the alarm, how old is the washing machine?

1950's wiring means there are many potential reasons for this.

I assume nothing is being tripped of when the washing machine is plugged in. No fuses popping or RCD triping out.

Does the machine have to be running to set the alarm of or just plugged in?

If just plugging it triggers the alarm then it would suggest a problem with the earthing system. The washing machine will provide a path from the electrical earth in the socket to ground via water in the pipes. If the earth system of the wiring is not up to standard this earth path via the washing machine could be affecting the alarm.

If it is necessary to run the washing machine to trip the alram then electrical noise ( intereference ) from the washing machine motor is affecting the alarm.

With 1950's wiring I would strongly recommend it is inspected for safety.

Thanks guys ill get in someone else for a 2nd opinion some useful comments ill let you know how i get on

Sponsored Links
Ok so the electrician has just left and hes baffled, we even plugged in a waffle iron and it didnt set off the alarm.

the alarm is a AEI Security SG4000 Alarm

I went round the place turning on and off different appliances and items like the shower and eventually I found that a very old hair dryer plugged in under a bed in the spare room, now the hair dryer didnt work. Ive unplugged it (very carefully i didnt like the look of it)

It appears to be ok now, thanks for the suggestions

how does the bell stop, enetering the code?

if yes then the alaarm is picking up something, since its the alarm that stop it whne code entered

i bet its picking up a spike.

easy solution, dont plug anything into this socket

Definitely a voltage spike from the washer. Had this fault in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back