Advice on quote for dormer loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning a loft conversion for my house and currently getting quotes. So far I have 2 quotes which are vastly different - first one was £90k and the second was £40k!!

Just wondering if someone would be kind enough to give me a ballparkish figure of how much I should be expecting?

It is a semi-detached house in Glasgow. Looking to build a front and rear dormer.
Will involve creating access to the loft and fitting a new stair case and steel work for supporting the new dormers.

Screenshot 2023-07-16 213445.png

Screenshot 2023-07-16 213356.png

Screenshot 2023-07-16 213522.png

Screenshot 2023-07-16 213543.png

Sponsored Links
Companies that have quoted you. Check out their previous work and company history. Are they experienced at this work or a "new" outfit. The architect doing the drawings, who does he recommend. Does the work involve all aspects of the job to completion ? Electrics, plumbing, heating ? Sometimes best to arrange your own decorating at the building finish. A separate independent will raise any issues while a contractor subby will likely cover them over . If an estimate, expect at least 20% extra funds for contingency/ extras / changes you request as the building work progresses. Buy a copy of "Haynes Loft Conversion " 2023 edition to give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for.

Last edited:
No one can give you any meaningful cost estimate unless they live in your road, and have had built a very similar conversion on an identical property within the last few months.

If you have given contractors the same plans and specification, then they should be quoting on the same things. Compare their itemised quotes for any differences in work, materials, content and time.

Is scaffold or a top hat included?

Structural beams? There are none on the drawing.

How will daywork and unforseen work be priced?

What insurance cover do they have?

VAT? VAT registered?

Building regulations, structural engineers, other statutory fees? Plus have they included for time dealing with these?

That splayed dormer will be interesting to construct. Has it been properly designed and specified so that the builders are clear how it must be built? Otherwise you'll be hit with extra costs and time.

Also ask the builders what if anything is not included in the quote, and what if any additional costs may arise.

You should have specified what contact you will both sign, if not confirm if the builders are prepared to enter into one.

Sponsored Links
8K on a staircase !!?.... just fit one myself and it was a fifth of that.

It's you who must be dreaming and why do you assume you know what everything costs and what people have paid for something ? I had a custom made staircase made for around £1200 and if you are as smart as you make out you will not be telling people who ask for accurate advice that a staircase will be 8K. I know it can cost whatever you want to pay but 8K is by no means an average cost and is more often much cheaper for that design.

It's you who must be dreaming and why do you assume you know what everything costs and what people have paid for something ? I had a custom made staircase made for around £1200 and if you are as smart as you make out you will not be telling people who ask for accurate advice that a staircase will be 8K. I know it can cost whatever you want to pay but 8K is by no means an average cost and is more often much cheaper for that design.
Free fitting? Spindles? Handrail? Structural stair well trimming? Two flights? We're not talking straight flight swap, in this instance.

£1200 for the op's? Dream on, lol.

Last edited:
Original poster stated "Will involve creating access to the loft and fitting a new stair case", that's singular staircase and they were not asking for the average cost of a staircase it is just that you made out that is what their staircase would be. I have said it will not and having just recently done a kite winder return flight i know what i am talking about. I also never said that the OP's staircase would cost £1200, i said mine cost around £1200 so the dreaming must be on your part.

Worked on a cottage not long ago. Owner had an oak staircase fitted cost £20,000 Inc.vat. Did look the dogs boll****

Working on a job now and the oak flight and balustrades ordered is about £8k , so I better up my fitting rate. :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back